Saturday, January 26, 2019

::kitchen garden is happening::


This year will be our second summer living on our property.  Too much HAD to happen last year for my little garden to be built.  I also wanted to have one full season on this property to make sure I understand this farms quirks a little better.  This is going to be the garden that I have for the rest of my life.  I'm 41, I hope I get to garden in this garden for the next 50 years.  It has to be right.  

I learned some things in my old garden:
      1.  You can;t be close enough to the water source
      2.  I want to relax in my garden as much as I want to work in my garden.
      3.  I like excuses to be in my garden - like having a work bench in there.
      4.  I want to be able to sit in my garden with another person.  Maybe even eat in there.
      5.  I like my big dogs near me at all times, but I want my garden well protected from them.  
      6.  The pathways need to be rock, not mulch.  It lasts forever.  
      7.  Fencing that goes around the garden needs to act as a trellis and be good at keeping chickens/feral boys/goats/WHATEVER out in growing season. 
      8.  Flowers are a pretty part of my gardens and should be an after thought.
      9.  Potted veggies and flowers are visually appealing.  
      10.  The sound of a water fountain that can also be a water source for fauna makes me happy, but it has to be small enough for me to clean it if the ducks invade it.  
      11.  I like to work my chickens into my gardens to be natural source of fertilizer and to let them work the soil.  I have ideas on how to do this in a way that limits what the chickens have access to.  

I had an original plan that had my garden would have the chicken coop in it and the runs would be part of the garden.  I even played around with the idea of a chicken moat, but the reality of that seemed to have too many issues for me.  We have some ideas for the chickens, but that is for another post.  


The light green beds are outside the fence.  The purple are gates.  One leads into my dogs outdoor run.  One leads into my back yard.  The red areas are a hammock and a bench.  


The orange area is my work bench.  We have an old sink from our remodel and tons of supplies to make my potting bench.  I want it to look roughly like this one.   

The blue circle will be a small fountain.  I have been buying the supplies to make this from flea markets this winter.  This is the basic concept I will be going for. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails