Tuesday, March 20, 2012

::chickens and dogs::

I hear its national poultry day, so I walked to write a little about my ladies and how they do with the dogs that could eat them.

  I do not fancy myself a dog trainer.  If you show up here there is a pretty good chance that Bruno is going to jump up on you.  I don't know why.  He doesn't do it to me and I don't know how to make him stop.  But I have taught the dogs to love chickens.  Not the easiest feat since Bruno wants to herd everything on the farm.

laying by the dog houses
All I did was supervise the first few free ranging times and constantly tell the farm dogs no if they even sniffed at the chickens.  Our lab, Alberta,  doesn't have much drive to hunt anything so she was easy.  Bruno took a little more time.  The little fluffy dog, Lizzie, could care less about chickens.  But by now they are all best friends.  I have seen the chickens walk right over a sleeping Alberta like she was a log instead of walking around her.





Poor little chickens go back in their coop and run soon since the garden is getting going, but for now they are loving free range of the farm.

2 comments:

  1. LOL i love that you call them your ladies. it makes me sing in my head 'all the single ladies, all the single ladies' as i imagine them hopping around the pups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, backyard fun! So pretty they are! Today a student of mine, who's in college n loves organic gardening, began planting our garden to share. We were all so happy n mellow 'til we remembered the chickens would come destroy it all if we didn't A- lock 'em up or B- lock up the little plants! How had I forgotten that?! Makes me sad to lock up the girls so we rigged some netting and said a prayer there are more tempting treats elsewhere for the hens. ;-0
    HAPPY SPRING to all on your funny farm!
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails